After the success of the first three calls for projects for the promotion of inclusive education, Fondazione Bracco has launched a fourth call as part of its “Ora di scienza!” programme, the aim of which is to engender enthusiasm for science subjects in schools by arranging talks with women scientists and purtting forward ideas about possible new teaching methods and lessons, specifically:
- the teaching of a methodology for the use and production of materials;
- the use of a purpose-built video game designed, tested and enjoyed by hundreds of young people who participated in the “Mind the STEM Gap” installation at the Milan Triennale;
- the consideration of suggestions for the teaching of next-generation skills;
- the encouraging of participants to put together a virtual digital exhibition that showcases the innovative capacity of their schools.
On the strength of similar past initiatives with schools and the results they produced, it has become clear to us that the discourse around science and gender equality is relevant to all school subjects, from civic education to motor sciences. All it takes is a staff-student-parent board that is open to the idea of collaborative and multidisciplinary teaching. In furtherance of this discourse, Fondazione Bracco provides materials, along with useful links and teaching tips.
"Mind The Stem Gap - A Roblox Jukebox" is an installation piece that tells in digital form the professional and life stories of people from diverse disciplines, while offering visitors a place for reflection and an open-ended and pluralistic exchange of views. In addition to its function as a tool for moving past stereotypes and designing inclusive teaching methods that brings girls and boys closer together, the installation also offers an opportunity for discussion among teachers and teaching bodies
The Mind the STEM Gap installation
The Mind the STEM Gap manifesto
The main objectives are:
- To focus attention on the importance of STEM
- To derive value from research
- To stimulate collaborative learning
- To disseminate the principles of the Mind the Stem Gap Manifesto
- To encourage all students to become ambassadors of gender equality
- To generate value in the local school system by enabling it to innovate its teaching methodologies and build new learning paradigms
- To contribute to the implementation of “Piano Scuola 4.0” [School Plan 4.0].
- To build a virtual review of the content produced by the participating pupils
This year’s plan has an international flavour! An English version of the poster materials and the video game has also been developed.
It will therefore be possible for schools from other countries - not just European - to compete for the special prize. The contents can be used as part of an exchange of ideas with pupils from other countries attending schools that are working or will be working with yours on the project.
This will generate interactive discussion on all the topics touched upon by the manifesto and the video game.
The prize will go to whichever class has done best at prompting debate on gender equality issues in the world of STEM.
The class itself will record its experience in a digital work.
The class or group of students is required:
- to send in their applications by 10 November 2022.
- to create, by 30 March 2023, a digital product that has been produced as a collaborative project and addresses one or more of the following topics:
- The role of women over the years until the present time
- Nature, the environment and climate change (Agenda 2030)
- How to defeat stereotypes
- The worlds of technology, social networks and mass media
- Science as an interdisciplinary network
- The invisible language of the universe
- Nineteenth-century algorithms
- New professions in the sciences
The winning entries, selected by a jury, will be published by Fondazione through its channels. The winning classes will receive technology-based prizes.
Details about the fourth call for projects in the "Ora di scienza!" programme. >> BROCHURE
Regional school authorities supporting the project:
“Bracco per la scuola” [Bracco for schools] is the name of a programme that aggregates all the activities undertaken by the Bracco Group in and on behalf of schools, which together constitute a multifaceted and long-lasting commitment to education predicated on preventing drop-outs, promoting a culture of health, encouraging scientific vocations, and promoting historic and cultural knowledge. In 2019, this commitment was formalized as a memorandum of understanding between Fondazione Bracco and the schools authority of the Region of Lombardy.
Export to PDF
Send to a friend