What role can corporate foundations play in the Covid-19 era?
Fondazione Bracco and Percorsi di secondo welfare are sponsoring a round of discussions on how they and similar philanthropic institutions should respond to the new challenges posed by the pandemic.
Corporate foundations, which are non-profit philanthropic organizations set up by private companies, have become increasingly relevant players in Italy in recent years, partly owing to the higher profile and increasing complexity and effectiveness of the initiatives they are now promoting, and partly owing to their readiness to work in tandem with various third-sector organizations, especially at the local level.
On 18 September 2019 in Milan, Fondazione Bracco, Fondazione Sodalitas and Percorsi di secondo welfare presented a joint research report on the third sector. The report gives an updated overview of the various corporate foundations active in Italy, describes what have been the most salient features of the work they have been conducting in recent years, and identifies certain key areas where strategic philanthropy in Italy could been enhanced.
To explore the implications of some of the findings, Fondazione Bracco and Percorsi di secondo welfare are promoting a series of studies into corporate foundations and their workings to be conducted by close observers of the sector, academics and experts from several fields.
The website of Percorsi di Secondo Welfare periodically publishes the thoughts of various interviewees, whose different perspectives broaden our understanding of the important contribution that corporate foundations can and will make to our country in the post Covid-19 era.
The list of interviews is shown below (with titles translated into English):
- How philanthropy must move from emergency action to strategic thinking
Stefano Zamagniinterviewed by Chiara Lodi Rizzini
- Now is the time for philanthropy to consider the 2030 Agenda
- Enrico Giovanniniinterviewed by Orlando de Gregorio
- The strategic advantage of the impact approach for corporate foundations Giovanna Melandri interviewed by Lorenzo Bandera
- How reform of the Third Sector could encourage coporate philanthropy Luigi Bobbainterviewed by Franca Maino
- Why institutional philanthropy needs to increase its capacity for political action
Patrik Vesan interviewed by Lorenzo Bandera
- Why philanthropy assessment reports need to become “community stories”Laura Orestano interviewed by Franca Maino
- How corporate foundations can nurture freedom-engendering social microclimatesGaetano Giunta interviewed by Orlando De Gregorio
- The indispensability of female empowerment for facing new global challengesDiana Bracco interviewed by staff writers of Percorsi di Secondo Welfare.